GO.17 Reforms in SSC (10th Class), 9th Class Exam Pattern, System from 2014-15

GO.17 dated 14th May 2014 Reforms in SSC (10th Class), 9th Class Exam Pattern, System, Grading from 2014-15. S.C.E.R.T, A.P, HYDERABAD – Examination Reforms for class IX and X from the academic year 2014-15 onwards – Permission Accorded. The Govt has made clear decision on Number of Papers in SSC (10th Class, 9th Class Exams) From 2014-15, Marks weightage and duration of examination , Internal and external weightages – Formative and Summative, Pass marks and minimum marks for passing, Nature of the question papers and questions, Academic standards/ competencies to be achieved.etc.. Let us discuss briefly..

GO.17 Reforms in SSC (10th Class), 9th Class Exam Pattern, System from 2014-15

1. GO MS No. 169, School Education (PE – Prog-II) Dept. Dt. 29.12.2011
2. GO MS No. 62, School Education (PE – Prog-II) Dept. Dt. 23.07.2012
3. GO MS No. 60, School Education (PE – SSA) Dept. Dt. 24.10.2013
4. From the C & DSE Lr. Rc. No. 302/E1-1/2009, Dt. 17.04.2013
5. From the Director, SCERT, A.P, Hyderabad Lr. No. 185/D1/C&T/SCERT/2013, Dt.08.05.2014
  1. The class X new textbooks introduced from the coming academic year i.e. 2014-15. As new books are introduced the evaluation process also needs to be modified. This has already been done for Classes I to VIII. 
  2. The Director, SCERT vide reference 5th read above has submitted proposals for the revised evaluation process and scheme of examination for classes IX and X and stated that the proposed examination reforms will facilitate for a shift in the teaching learning process and improved transaction of new textbooks and transforms the ways of learning with activities, projects, dialogue and discussions, experiments etc. and hence requested the government to issue orders for the implementation of examination reforms in all the secondary schools in the State viz., government, government aided, panchayatraj bodies, recognized private schools on the following items:

Number of papers for each subject

  1. Single paper for each language subjects i.e. Telugu, English, Hindi, Urdu etc. 
  2. Two papers for non language subjects i.e. Science, Social Studies and Mathematics viz., Science– Paper 1 Biological Science, Paper 2 Physical Science; Social Studies– Paper 1 Geography and Economics, Paper 2 History and Civics; Mathematics– Paper 1 numbers, sets, algebra, progressions, coordinate geometry and Paper 2 geometry, trigonometry, mensuration, statistics, probability etc.
Papers and Marks: 
  Subject   Total Marks   Marks for final public exam Internal
assessment marks [FA]
First Language (Telugu/ Hindi/ Urdu etc.) 100 marks 80
Second Language (Telugu/ Hindi)
100 marks
Third Language (English)
100 marks
Mathematics – Paper 1
50 marks
Mathematics – Paper 2
50 marks
Physical Science
50 marks
Biological Science
50 marks
Social Studies – Paper 1 (Geography & Economics)
50 marks
Social Studies – Paper 1 (History & Civics)
50 marks
600 marks

Marks weightage and duration of examination 
  • Language subjects– 100 marks per paper and the examination duration will be 3.00 hours in addition to 15 minutes for reading the question paper. 
  • Non language subjects– Mathematics, Science and Social Studies – Every subject will have two papers and each paper is for 50 marks and the examination duration is 2 hours and 30 minutes in addition to 15 minutes for reading the question paper. 
  • The summative examinations which is school based for class IX and the final summative is of public exams at class X conducted by Director, Govt. Examinations. Each subject will be conducted for 80% of marks. The remaining 20% of marks are through internal assessment i.e. Formative Assessment [FA]. 
  • The average of four formative assessments conducted in an academic year will be accounted for 20% of marks i.e. the average of four formative assessments will be taken and accounted for 20% of marks in class X public examinations. 
  • Conduct one paper on each day except on general holidays. 

Summative Assessment: 

  • Three summative tests must be conducted in each academic year for classes IX and X. In case of class X, public examination will be in place of third summative test to be conducted by the Board of Secondary Education. 
  • First and second Summative Assessments shall be conducted by schools itself through preparing question papers for 80% of marks. This ensures that the children are trained to write public exams. The remaining 20% of marks shall be awarded on the basis of the Formative Assessment. 
  • The summative assessment for class IX and 1st and 2nd Summative Assessment in class X must be on the lines of public exams. 
  • The questions must be developed based on the blue print reflecting the academic standards.

Internal and external weightages – Formative and Summative:

80% of marks in each subject for the summative/ external public examinations and. the 20% of marks for the proposed internals under formative assessment. The areas and marks for the formative assessment is given here under.
  Item for Formative Assessment   Marks
            1   Language subjects – Reading storybooks, children literature, newspapers etc. and reflecting in terms of writing and presentation in the classroom.   5
  Science – Doing the experiments and writing in the record.   5
  Mathematics – Generating Mathematical problems under various concepts – Writing and presentation in the classroom.   5
  Social Studies – Reading the text and interpretation and reflections on contemporary social issues through writing and class room presentation   5
Children’s written work in their notebooks – Self expression/ writing to the questions/ tasks given in the exercise part under each unit/ lesson.
The children shall not copy the answers from guides/ study materials etc. but they should think and write on their own.
Project works   5
Slip test   5
Total 20
  • A separate notebook for each subject for the formative assessment pertaining to three items of serial numbers 1, 3 and 4 of the above table shall be maintained by each student. However, in case of serial number 2 i.e. a separate notebook may be maintained by each child. These notebooks reflecting children works must be preserved which will be the basis for awarding marks by the teacher and for the verification of officials whenever required. 
  • The average of four FAs will be accounted for 20% of marks in public examinations under each subject. 
Verification of internal marks and submitting to O/o Director, Govt. Exams:
  • After completion of the 4th Formative Assessment, the headmaster should verify all the records for the above internal tests and keep ready for external moderation committee and submit the details of the marks to the SSC board after committee verification and approval, in a fixed format through on-line. The programming part of this for submission of internal marks from schools will be done by Director, Govt. Examinations. 
  • 10 to 15 schools in two or three Mandals shall be considered as a unit for monitoring and moderating. The moderation committee formulated by the DEO, shall observe all the schools assigned in the given Mandals both government and private and verify the marks, grades awarded for internals and as well as co-curricular activities. 

Pass marks and minimum marks for passing

  1. 35% is the pass marks for all the language and non language subjects. Students must qualify both in internals (FA) and summative examinations separately. 
  2. In non language subjects, the students must pass in each of the two papers separately. 
  3. In case of formative assessment (internals), 20 marks each for all the subjects except Science i.e. 10 marks for Biological Science and 10 marks for Physical Science. One should secure 3.5 marks out of 10 marks in internals. 
  4. Student must score a minimum of 35% of marks in each subject which includes both internals and externals. Students must secure 28 marks in external public exam and 7 marks in internals. 
  5. Pass marks in Second Languages:  The pass marks for second languages i.e. Hindi, Telugu etc. will be 35% on par with other language subjects.